Friday, September 9, 2011

Back in Ubuntu 11.04 and loving it

After about a month and a half of Lubuntu (11.04) in my test notebook, the new shiny Intel core i3 HP ProBook 4230s, I decided to test Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit Desktop edition.

Having made sure there was a way to disable Unity, and revert back to the classic Ubuntu, I took the plunge yesterday.

It's really quite refreshing and liberating to be back in the Gnome interface.  LXDE has lost its allure for me - for now.

Everything just works: Huawei broadband modem (model E153) for the Internet, Bluetooth starts up, Weather indicator, having windows that actually remember my view settings, and yes - guilty as charged - my hunger for eye-candy is back with wobbly windows, transparent menus (care of Ubuntu Tweak), and some fancy wallpaper.

Question: Why did I choose 11.04 over the 10.04 LTS (long term support) version?
Answer: video resolution.

Testing the live CD of 10.04 ran Ubuntu with a resolution of 1024 x 768.
Testing the live CD of 11.04 produced a higher resolution - 1280 x 800.

I notice this pattern consistent with Linux distros (Centos, Fedora, OpenSuse, Debian...) based on kernel version 2.6.32 and 2.6.38, with the latter capable of producing the higher resolution when running the live CDs.




No comments:

Post a Comment