Sunday, July 10, 2011

Ubuntu out, Debian in

Today marks the day I switched to Debian (Squeeze). After 2 years of Ubuntu (last version I used: Lucid).

Restored a Clonezilla image of Debian6, making it much faster than a bare-metal installation.

Some early steps and observations:
1. Fonts are finer in Ubuntu on my laptop's lcd.
2. Memory utilization much lower in Debian (124mb with IceWeasel open)
3. I had to install proprietary wifi drivers. Basically followed the steps from the wiki debian, but instead of the aptitude commands, I used the Synaptic Package Manager.
4. Reinstalled Virtualbox. Downloaded the i386 debian squeeze deb package from their website, and followed instructions.
5. Along the way, had to make myself belong to the sudoers. Unlike Ubuntu, the user doesn't have this privilege by default.

6. PokerTH 8.3 in Debian 6! Just simply place:
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian wheezy main
in my /etc/apt/sources.list, sudo apt-get update, then Synaptic, and I'm good to go.

Addendum: No pysdm package in Debian to automount a partition I just created. So I have to go a bit low level - fstab it.

1. Create the partition, format it to an ext2 80gb partition, and mount it using the Disk Utility app. Take note of the mount point. Mine was: /media/Data

2. Go into a terminal shell and get some information needed for fstab editing.
sudo sh
and execute:
fdisk -l
to get the new partition's specific dev assignment. Mine was: /dev/sda3
Make sure I have the correct mount point:
ls -lsa /media/Data
and it gave me the output I expected:
total 28
4 drwx------ 4 roy roy 4096 Jul 10 16:06 .
4 drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Jul 10 16:04 ..
16 drwx------ 2 root root 16384 Jul 10 16:03 lost+found
4 drwx------ 4 roy roy 4096 Jul 10 16:06 .Trash-1001



3. Now go proceed to edit fstab. I added this line:
/dev/sda3 /media/Data ext2 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

No comments:

Post a Comment