Sunday, May 2, 2010

Lucid apps replaced

Not too happy with some apps that come pre-installed in Lucid.

1. Empathy out, Pidgin in.
2. Evolution out, Thunderbird + Lightning in.
3. gnome-screenshot out, Shutter in.

To remove apps in 1 & 2, I used Ubuntu-tweak.  Nice app, this one.
Helped make it easier to install the following:

1. Pidgin - for Yahoo, MSN messenger
2. Shutter - for getting screenshots
3. VLC - for my music, movies
4. Gimp - for my photo-editing
5. Audacity - for my audio-editing
6. Dia - for my flowcharts, diagrams, Visio-like 
7. Chromium web browser - just for variety, in case I get bored with FireFox

For these, I used Ubuntu's Synaptic Package Manager:
8. Thunderbird 3 - my office email
9. Ubuntu-restricted-extras - for a whole lot of YouTube viewing, Java for Firefox
10. checkgmail  - for my multiple GMail accounts
11. g2ipmsg 

And some manual installations:
12. GoogleEarth from the Medibuntu package, pretty simple double-click on the debian package 
13. Truecrypt - another simple install double-click on the deb package

No comments:

Post a Comment