Saturday, March 13, 2010

Back in Ubuntu (still Karmic)

I'm back in Ubuntu after nearly a month in Linux Mint, loving it, then saddened by the loss of sound and inability to use the LCD out, then finally deciding to what-the-heck it all and reformatted my hard disk.

Steps:
1. Do fresh install from the Live CD
2. Perform ALL detected package updates
3. Removed Evolution (from Ubuntu Software Center)
4. Removed Empathy (from USC)
5. Installed Pidgin (from USC)
6. Installed Thunderbird 3.0.3 (downloaded from Mozilla)
- it's a tar.bz2 file, untar in a user-created folder
- create a launcher pointing to the thunderbird file
7. Install the Lightning add-on
8. Create my office profile in Thunderbird, complete with the POP & SMTP settings
9. Copy my backup profile folder to the new profile folder
10. Install Flash in my Firefox from here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/Flash
11. Install VLC, making sure multiverse repositories (in Synaptic) are checked. Also used this URL for reference: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html
I didn't go the path of the PPA (as my older post advised); instead just picked the VLC package in Synaptic.

YES! I GOT SOUND! - 13 March 2010 1313h

12. Reinstall IPMsg using my old posts as reference.

Now on to Ruby on Rails...

No comments:

Post a Comment