Saturday, July 18, 2009

Ubuntu 9.04 in my dual-boot - 1, and IPMsg :-)

Yesterday I took a bigger step. I installed Ubuntu in another partition in my office laptop, not merely as a virtual guest.

So far, so good.

After doing the initial, fresh-install updates (via Update Manager):

1. Installed gnome IPMSG, our inter-office internal messaging client. This was a pleasant experience :) - thanks to blogger necramirez for this excellent reference.

Links for the how-to, I found here (http://blog.necramirez.info/2008/07/installing-gnome2-ipmessenger.html). This worked for me without problems.
You have to install the dependencies first, as follows:
  • libxml-parser-perl
  • libgnomeui-dev
  • libpanel-applet2-dev
  • gettext
  • intltool
After that, get the gnome IPMSG here (http://www.ipmsg.org/index.html.en).
The link I followed is the one under Unix, titled GNOME2 IP Messenger by T.Kato (2008/10/27).
It might have a newer version by the time you visit the site.

I followed the instructions how to unpack/make/run and soon after I got IPmsg working smoothly.

2. Now, my adventure continues. I'm planning to install NetBeans. First off, install the Java packages.

My reference is in the Ubuntu forums, on the thread titled "Ubuntu Desktop Computing Made Easy (Ubuntu 9.04)" - thanks to contributor TrakerJon
Here's the piece on java:
Install the latest Sun Java JRE
sudo apt-get install gsfonts-x11 java-common odbcinst1debian1 sun-java6-bin sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin unixodbc

No comments:

Post a Comment